Starting in the new year, undocumented immigrants in Colorado can renew their driver’s licenses online.
This change is a result of a state Senate bill passed earlier in 2018 to modify the Colorado Road and Community Safety Act. The new law will allow undocumented Coloradans renew driver’s licenses online. It will also allow a Social Security number (SSN) to be used to obtain instruction permits and identification cards as well as driver’s licenses.
These residents were required to make a physical appointment to renew their document. However, as of January 1st, 2019, they can renew online.
Who does this affect?
- Undocumented people who already have an SB251 Driver’s License in Colorado
- **If you have a previous deportation order, please do not apply without consulting a lawyer**
How do I renew my driver license/instruction permit/ID online if I am not able to demonstrate lawful presence in the United States?
You will visit mydmv.colorado.gov to renew online. You will be required to upload:
- the required affidavits
- proof of Colorado tax return filing for the immediately preceding tax year
- proof of current residency in Colorado or documents demonstrating proof of continuous residency in Colorado for the immediately preceding 24 months as part of the process.
These documents will then be reviewed by a driver license technician before the renewal is completed. If you have not submitted all required documents, you will receive a letter from the DMV letting you know that additional documents are required.
Also: New Driver’s Licenses for Undocumented People with Social Security Numbers
New Colorado Law Allows Immigrants to Use Social Security Number for Driver’s License. Click here to read more.
Driver’s License for Undocumented People FAQ:
- I renewed online and haven’t received my driver’s license/instruction permit/ID yet.
- My driver license/instruction permit/ID has been lost or stolen. Can I get a replacement online?
- I don’t want to renew online. Do I need to make an appointment?
- If I have a Social Security number instead of an ITIN, do I need a different type of appointment?
- What documents can I use to show proof of my Social Security number?
- Which offices offer SB13-251 services?
- How much does a driver license/instruction permit/ID cost if I am not able to demonstrate lawful presence in the United States? This cost is the same for initial issuance and renewal.
- Where can I find more information?