New Law Allows Immigrants to Use Social Security Number for Driver’s License

January 9, 2019
  • DACA & TPS

Starting in the new year, undocumented immigrants in Colorado can use a Social Security number (SSN) to obtain a driver’s license.

This change is a result of a state Senate bill passed earlier in 2018 to modify the Colorado Road and Community Safety Act. The new law will allow a Social Security number to be used to obtain instruction permits and identification cards as well as driver’s licenses. It can also be used to renew driver’s licenses online.

These residents were previously required to provide proof of an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) to obtain a driver license, instruction permit or identification card, and a Social Security number was not accepted. However, they will be accepted beginning January 1st, 2019.

Who does this affect?

  • DACA and TPS recipients with an SSN who have lost status**
  • People who had immigration status and assigned an SSN but lost their immigration status**

**If you have a previous deportation order, please do not apply without consulting a lawyer**

What am I required to supply to obtain a driver license, instruction permit or identification card for the first time if I am not able to demonstrate lawful presence in the United States after January 1, 2019?

You are required to provide:

  • Proof of Social Security number or ITIN AND
  • Proof of Colorado tax return filing for the immediately preceding tax year and proof of current residency in Colorado OR
  • Three documents demonstrating proof of continuous residency in Colorado for the immediately preceding 24 months AND
  • An affidavit of residency (available at the driver license office) AND
  • A passport, consular ID card or military ID from your country of origin AND
  • An affidavit that the applicant has applied or will apply as soon as the applicant is eligible for lawful presence within the U.S. (available at the driver license office)

Renewals Online

The new law will also allow people to renew their SB251 Driver’s License for undocumented immigrants online.

Click here for more information.

Driver’s License for Undocumented People FAQ:

  1. I renewed online and haven’t received my driver’s license/instruction permit/ID yet.
  2. My driver license/instruction permit/ID has been lost or stolen. Can I get a replacement online?
  3. I don’t want to renew online. Do I need to make an appointment?
  4. If I have a Social Security number instead of an ITIN, do I need a different type of appointment?
  5. What documents can I use to show proof of my Social Security number?
  6. Which offices offer SB13-251 services?
  7. How much does a driver license/instruction permit/ID cost if I am not able to demonstrate lawful presence in the United States? This cost is the same for initial issuance and renewal.
  8. Where can I find more information?

Click here for FAQ

Are you having issues with renewing or obtaining your license?

Submit your issue here